I had every intention of blogging regularly, but it’s been two years since my last post. Life does tend to get in the way. I am hoping to make this a regular thing, but I wouldn’t be surprised it it’s another two years until my next one.
This trend of naked and semi-naked wedding cakes does not seem to be going away. I don’t mind though as they’re pretty darn elegant!!
I have previously baked a tier of cake to take to wedding fayres with me, but it’s such a waste of cake. Brides would prefer to see the finished item (three tiers) and well, it was just taking up too much room in my freezer. So, I wasn’t about to bake three tiers and have them take up precious space.
I had to figure out a way of making a fake one, so here goes:
1. Your choice of dummies, number of tiers and height is up to you.
2. Brown, yellow and white acrylic paint (you can get it from any half decent craft shop).
3. A cheap make up sponge (poundshops tend to be a good bet)
4. A flexible measuring tape.
5. A Dresden tool or something to create a gap between your ‘cake’ layers
6. Icing smoother
7. An old or cheap spatula you don’t mind ruining (poundshops again)
8. An old bench scraper you won’t mind ruining.
9. Tile grout. (not really sure if it matters what kind – mine was a Wilko branded one called ‘out on the tiles’)
10. Hot glue gun
I started by mixing the three paints to make a light shade of brown, so not too much of the yellow and white. I wanted to start light as it would be easier to go darker than it would to go lighter.
I stacked the three tiers together and, with the makeup sponge, painted (more of a dabbing than painting) them simultaneously, this is because I knew I would never be able to re-create the exact shade of brown again and didn’t want my tiers looking dramatically different.
I covered the complete surface area of the dummy (except that which was going to be covered by the tier above) and then made my paint a bit darker. I used even less yellow and white and I added shadings of darker brown in patches until I was happy with it. It doesn’t need to be perfect because cake colour shades aren’t and it’s getting a slight cover anyway.
I left it to dry overnight.
Using my measuring tape and Dresden tool. I marked out 1-inch spaces from top to bottom and then made an indentation all the way around the cake using my 1-inch marks as a guide. To make the indentation a bit more pronounced, I used my icing smoother to rough it up a bit.
I mixed up the tile grout to the packet’s specifications, but it was a little too thick, so I just added water until I was happy with the consistency. Then using my spatula and bench scraper, I ‘iced’ it like I would do a real cake.
I left it to dry overnight.
The next day I used a hot glue gun to stick the tiers together.
I added silk flowers, but if you would like to use real flowers on a real cake, take some advice from The Maddock’s Farm guide.
Let me know (and show me) if you have a go at making one.
Thanks for reading.